Friday, September 05, 2008

Confessional- my BBB addiction

I suppose it started long before they started coming in the mail, but the regularity with which I indulge in my addiction has increased. Yes, it's true. I am a sucker for the Bed Bath and Beyond coupon. Particularly the $5 off coupon-- I mean come on, pay ten bucks for fifteen dollars worth of merchandise! While it may be true that I currently have no need for my own stainless steel measuring cups (or spoons) or the place-mats I bought on sale, or the towels, or the snazzy glass pitcher... in the next few years (or less--oh please, oh please, oh please) I will actually have my own place where these things will come in handy.

The downer is that in the meantime, I'm completely outgrowing my bedroom. With my room filled to capacity and my treasures occupying three boxes downstairs, my parents aren't always excited to see me bring home new things (although some of the time I'm with my mom when I buy.) There have been times when I sneaked my sack to the basement without the show and tell. ;)
Last November I got caught in the act when I stopped at Bed Bath and Beyond on my way home from school; when I came out with my new purchase, the car wouldn't start.
I guess I really should stop stocking up on stuff for the future, but it's so fun! It's my twenty-something equivalent of playing "house." For the most part I have restrained myself when it comes to buying large items, but last summer I did go ahead and buy the cutest three piece wrought-iron bistro patio set. (Not from BB&B incidentally, but it was on sale!) For now, it lives in the basement.

I've added a good number of items to my "inventory"- some more frivolous than others. Maybe I'm quirky weird; I admit to uh... actually buying a really adorable, soft baby reindeer stuffed animal when I was fourteen years old with hypothetical baby's first Christmas in mind. (I know, I know.)

What can I say? At least I come with a heck of a dowry.

2 comments:

Milly said...

No worries, I started buying children's books when I was 14 so I would have things to read to my babies. Saddly, I haven't been able to pull them out yet, because Keith likes to tear and eat paper, but... you are just getting yourself prepared! You are funny, I used to do the same thing with all my purchases when I lived at home.

Tawni said...

Don't worry, I do the same thing. I don't have places to put things most of the time, so my closet is overflowing.