Friday, August 29, 2008

Opportunity to Hear Alfie Kohn Speak!


Alfie Kohn writes and speaks widely on human behavior, education, and parenting. The author of eleven books and scores of articles, he lectures at education conferences and universities as well as to parent groups and corporations. Kohn's criticisms of competition and rewards have been widely discussed and debated, and he has been described in Time magazine as "perhaps the country's most outspoken critic of education's fixation on grades [and] test scores."
(From www.alfiekohn.org)



October 17, 2008

Sandy, UT
SPONSOR: Utah Education Association
EVENT: keynote annual convention
FOR MORE INFO: (801) 266-4461

Hey all! If you are interested in education or children even remotely, I HIGHLY, HIGHLY recommend going to see Alfie Kohn as the keynote speaker at this year's UEA convention at the South Towne Expo Center.
I heard him speak on parenting
a few years ago at the Dee Events Center and it was amazing! I've also read some of his work and consequently come to think of both teaching and parenting in a much different way; and when I have kidlets I want to be the kind of parent he talks about in his book "Unconditional Parenting," which I think should be mandatory reading before they hand you your newborn at the hospital (just kidding, but I really do think it's a very important, thought-provoking book.)
I'll definitely be there when he speaks this fall!

Mark your calendar now! :) A ticket is not required, although you may need to pre-register for $5. The registration fee would also allow you to see other workshops and presentations that day. I'll post more information closer to the event and after I get my little convention booklet in the mail.

2 comments:

Milly said...

I would love to go with you. When is UEA weekend? Not being is school anymore, I don't keep track. Let me know, and we can hang out down there. Ü

Sheryl said...

That would be great! Alfie is speaking on October 17th. There will be convention stuff both on the 16th and 17th, I'm not sure yet if I'll attend both days or not. I'll keep you posted. :)