Saturday, September 13, 2008

Hoorah for Period Drama

I think my regular subscribers are an audience of four: Amy, Tawni, Erica, and Tammy. Woo baby! :)
Well, anyway, I think most of y'all like Jane Austen, so here are some trailers to whet (no, that's not a typo) your appetite for some mini series and films I HIGHLY recommend. And I'm always looking for others, so let me know if there are some you like I haven't included. I think both Weber and Davis Counties have most of these in their libraries.

WIVES AND DAUGHTERS (Miniseries) - Featuring my favorite literary heroine!


NORTH AND SOUTH (Miniseries) - Think "Charles Dickens meets Jane Austen"


CRANFORD (miniseries) - Featuring Dame Judi Dench. Probably too new to get at the library. There's not as much romance in this one, more drama, but I still really liked it. It is based on three novels by Elizabeth Gaskell, the author of Wives and Daughters and North and South.

VICTORIA AND ALBERT (miniseries) No trailer! How sad. This is about the real-life love story of the teenage Queen Victoria, and Prince Albert. Trivia: Albert is played by Jonathan Firth, Colin Firth's brother. Incidentally, Jonathan Firth also has a role in the next film I'm recommending, Luther. Victoria is played by Victoria Hamilton who has a small part as Mrs. Forrester in the A&E Pride and Prejudice.

LUTHER (film) - Very interesting film about the Protestant Reformation. I was first introduced to it in my World Religions Institute class. (Rated PG-13 for some violence.) This isn't my favorite trailer; I think it's a bit overdone, but at least you get some idea.

3 comments:

Milly said...

Wow, I think it is time we called for another GNO, and you get to provide the films! Those all look great! Evidently Jeffrey's father has Luther, but I am game for anything. Also, I saw some previews for a movei called "The Jane Austen Book Club" and thought that would be nice to watch with the girls. At any rate, when works for you?

Sheryl said...

I never know if I should reply to comments here, or someplace else. Well, Amy, if you read this...I agree! It's time for another GNO. The only "downer" about these flicks is that most of them are miniseries aka 5-6 hour shows. The only thing I heard that I didn't care for about the Jane Austen Book Club is that two of the women in the club hook up. With each other. Bleehh!
I'm pretty free weeknights, not real sure about the weekends for the rest of the month, if we got together on Fri. or Sat. night it'd probably have to be after Conference weekend.

Tawni said...

These all look really good! I do love Jane Austen and could really use a good JA night, so if you guys do something, let me know! Fridays and some weeknights are usually best for me as well.

In reply to your comment on my blog, I work at MasterControl and it's a company that manufactures document management/quality control software mostly for companies that are regulated by the FDA. I'm the marketing admin.