Tuesday, September 29, 2009

One-line philosophy

When it comes to health, I have a pretty simple philosophy: natural is better. It's amazing how controversial that view can be.

I trust the wisdom of God and nature infinitely more than the "wisdom" of men and science--and sometimes they agree, but when they don't, I'm always on the side of what's natural versus synthetic.

Certainly I am not saying that modern medicine is all bad, but I will be bold enough to assert that there is plenty of bad in it, and it is full of greed-driven practices that have little to do with healing. (Even some M.D.s take a similar view.)

When I write about natural health on this blog, or when I dis on what I consider to be unhealthy, I'm not trying to be obnoxiously preachy or tell others what to do. It is a subject that I am passionate about, and with good reason-- look at all the sickness in our society right now. It's truly alarming. My goal is just to put some information out there, and give people something to consider. For just about any health issue, you can find opposing philosophies and each side claims its own expertise, research, authority, etc. You'll have to use your best informed judgment. My own touchstone is the question: is it natural? (From my own experiences with sickness and being healthy, I've found that natural living and natural medicine are best for keeping me healthy, and for healing when I have a problem.) What do I mean by natural living? I'm talking about being mindful of what we put IN, ON, and AROUND our bodies--which encompasses many things.

It's the time of year that the flu shot is being plugged just about everywhere you look. I'm not going to be getting a flu shot, never have, never plan to. (Personally I think one of the causes of the flu is a belief in seasonal sickness, but that's a topic for another post...I haven't had a flu in years. Can't even remember the last time I had it--which is happy.) In an effort to offer a different perspective and encourage people to be questioning and discriminating consumers, may I suggest that you look at this one page website on flu shots: http://www.advancedhealthplan.com/flushots.html

What do I do in lieu of the flu shot? First of all, I try to lay off the sugar that is rampant from Halloween to Easter. It's not that I don't have any treats during the holiday season, I certainly do, but I also understand that eating lots of garbage is like sending out engraved invitations for illness to come and hang out in your body. So a good diet of natural foods and drinking water is essential. I also wash my hands a lot, and wash every time I come home from a store or public place. I use the winter setting on my ceiling fan, and occasionally open the window in the fall and winter, because stuffy air is an AWESOME breeding ground for bacteria and viruses. Obviously exercise and a healthy emotional state are also important. And as extra defense I use an essential oil called Thieves to boost my immunity and ward-off airborne disease. At the first sign of a cold or a bug I pounce on it with herbs, oils, accupressure, homeopathics, or any number of other natural medicine remedies. I don't get sick as often, I recover faster if I do, and I'm not getting side-effects or doing harm to my body's organs. Sounds good to me. If that's controversial, nutty, and backwards, ah well.

1 comment:

Amy said...

Awesome advice. I need to heed it a little more. I am not wanting to get the flu vaccine because it seems when I do, I always get the flu and when I don't, I stay healthy. Kind of opposite of what it is supposed to do. And then some people tell me that it is supposed to make you sick, just a more mild sick, and I figure it is better to take the chances of not getting sick over purposefully making myself sick by giving my body that particular virus. Also, there are so many different strains of the virus, even with the vaccine, people will get sick. Crazy health officials who just want more money. Sigh. Word of Wisdom is all we really need.