Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Dreaming of My Mansion


Apparently I've been watching too many movies and shows set in Nineteenth and early Twentieth Century England. (As if it was possible to watch too much of the genre!)

I watched "Wives and Daughters" again this summer, and I just finished the last season of "Jeeves and Wooster" yesterday-- I love it! And now I'm sort of even more obsessed than I already was with the culture and time period of England from 1800 or so to the 1930s.
(I've also become obsessed with Hugh Laurie, but that's a whole other story.)

Earlier this week I discovered the Universal Furniture website and fell in love with this formal dining room. It looks a little more impressive with the extra leaf and two more place settings, but I couldn't for the life of me get that picture off of their website. It reminds me of a modernish version of the sort of dining room that Emma Woodhouse or Bertie Wooster might have "luncheoned" in.

I have my doubts about it fitting in my first house, but somewhere down the line I envision it in the formal dining room of my gorgeous (but tasteful) mansion. I'll invite you over for dinner, and try to make the evening as unpretentious as possible. :)

3 comments:

Milly said...

I am waiting for a dinner invitation. Wow, that is absolutely beautiful! I am with you on loving all things from that time period. Sometimes I wish I had been born in Jane Austen's time period, but then I realize that had I been born then, I would probably have been a scullery maid, or something equally unromantic, so... I guess I am glad to live in the age of technology where we can appreciate the beautiful things of yesteryear.

Tawni said...

Sweet, I'd love to be invited for dinner in a dining room like that! It's beautiful!

Erica said...

Mr. Darcy and I will stop by for a visit next time we're in the area. :) I love that time period too and am holding out for my own mansion and my own Mr. Darcy or Wentworth or actually anyone! haha!! Love it!